WELCOME!

This is an ongoing US and global project to help enthusiasts, scholars, practitioners, and curious parties learn more about shamanic living in a contemporary culture. The space here is devoted to sharing info, experiences and opinions about all forms of shamanic expression covering shamanism's multiple permutations. Among subjects explored are traditions, techniques, insights, definitions, events, artists, authors, and creativity. You are invited to draw from your own experiences and contribute.

What is a SHAMAN?

MAYAN: "a technichian of the Holy, a lover of the Sacred." CELTIC: "Empower the people...by changing the way we think." MEXICAN APACHE: "Someone who has simply learned to give freely of themselves..." AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINAL: "...a teacher or healer, a wisdom keeper of knowledge... (who) takes people to a door and encourages them to enter." W. AFRICAN DIAGRA: "views every event in life within a spiritual context." HAWAIIAN: "...human bridges to the spiritual world and its laws and the material world and its trials..." QUECHUA INDIAN: "embodies all experience." AMAZON: "...willing to engage the forces of the Universe...in a beneficial end for self, people, and for life in general."


-- from Travelers, Magicians and Shamans (Danny Paradise)

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Connected

Last week, I felt a desperate need to shut down. I wanted to do nothing more than breath and partake in deeply nourishing activities. Thinking, feeling, analyzing, discussing...all those activities felt extremely exauhsting and irritating to me.

Tuesday morning, I woke up with the message that I should just call in and take the day off from work and allow myself the space and opportunity to do just that. Stop my world for a while. Upon contemplation,I was filled with reminders of all my responsibilities and the fact that I had no vacation or sick time available to me. I pushed through it and went to work. After having arrived, I found that I could not continue. I stated that I was not feeling well and that I had made the choice to leave for the day. Despite their dismay, I left and went home and spent the day in peace. Doing only that which nourished me.

The next day I got a call from two good friends of mine. They both individually informed me that they had the exact same experience, the same intuition, both pushed through it went to work only to leave at the same time I did using the same excuse. In addition to that, they also participated in most of the same nourishing activities.

It shows me once again, my illusion of control and how truly connected we are only appearing to be living separate lives and responding to that which is only our own.

Anyone have any similar experiences last week?

3 comments:

Rainbow Warrior said...

That's so interesting! I had a similar experience last Tuesday, and several of my friends did as well. Aside of the status of our imploding economy, it seems like many people's lives are in complete turmoil and no one really understands what is going on and how to deal with it.

As shamans, this is our challenge to know the irrational way and be able to guide others through it. I'm still just trying to make sense of my own need to unplug from not only society, but Spirit and close myself off for periods of time. When the energy is just not there, it's hard to push through.

Heart of The Mother said...

Well, I am feeling drawn to go "deeper into the woods."


Not as if I'm running from anything; but, that I'm moving in the right direction for me.

Also, last week I was drawn to visit a Fairies and Gnomes store.

I suspect that "the woods" could be much more than a forest of trees!

Not sure when I'll return...

Night Sings said...

I feel generally overwhelmed and burned out at work. It's been a long year and the shifts in temperature and daylight hours make isolation and hibernation increasingly more attractive. I find apprenticeship activities or a quick journey before going to work can fill the void and give me an extra burst of energy. I also may just be staying up too late.