WELCOME!

This is an ongoing US and global project to help enthusiasts, scholars, practitioners, and curious parties learn more about shamanic living in a contemporary culture. The space here is devoted to sharing info, experiences and opinions about all forms of shamanic expression covering shamanism's multiple permutations. Among subjects explored are traditions, techniques, insights, definitions, events, artists, authors, and creativity. You are invited to draw from your own experiences and contribute.

What is a SHAMAN?

MAYAN: "a technichian of the Holy, a lover of the Sacred." CELTIC: "Empower the people...by changing the way we think." MEXICAN APACHE: "Someone who has simply learned to give freely of themselves..." AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINAL: "...a teacher or healer, a wisdom keeper of knowledge... (who) takes people to a door and encourages them to enter." W. AFRICAN DIAGRA: "views every event in life within a spiritual context." HAWAIIAN: "...human bridges to the spiritual world and its laws and the material world and its trials..." QUECHUA INDIAN: "embodies all experience." AMAZON: "...willing to engage the forces of the Universe...in a beneficial end for self, people, and for life in general."


-- from Travelers, Magicians and Shamans (Danny Paradise)

Monday, June 16, 2008

More on Rituals (from The Atlantis Blueprint by Colin Wilson and Rand Flem-Ath

An excerpt from The Atlantis Blueprint: It was in the immense Temple of Horus at Edfu, midway between Luxor and Aswan, that my attention was drawn to the importance of sound. An Egyptian historian, Emil Shaker, showed me some hieroglyphics on the wall close to the sanctuary, pointing out how they specified the number of times the temple ritual had to be performed. In this case, it was three. He explained: "It is no use performing the ritual two or four times. It will not work. If it says three times, it means three times.' This ritual, like all religious rituals, involves chanting a hymn to the sun and presenting the god with offerings."

The author indicated that the ritual "activates the temple." "Exactly like switching on a light." This notion is fascinating--a ritual involving chanting could 'activate' a temple.

The book also notes that the King's Chamber suggest that the pyramid was constructed with a sonic purpose. Danley identifies four resident frequencies, or notes, that are enhanced by the structure of the pyramid and by the materials used in its construction. The notes from an F sharp chord---according to ancient Egyptian texts were the harmonic of the planet.

Tests show these are the frequencies in the King's chamber even when no sounds are being produced. According to Danley, these vibrations are caused by the wind blowing across the ends of the so-called shafts in the same way as sounds are created when on blows across the neck of the bottle.

Also, many of the Native American sacred flutes, created to 'serenade' Mother Earth, are tuned to the key of F sharp.

Sound analysis has confirmed recordings of the King's chamber showed it was designed as a resonance chamber. Christopher Dunn's own conviction was that the important clue was the fact that the Great Pyramid's proportions are the same as those of the earth, suggesting that the 'sounding box' was intended to vibrate to the earth. Or, as he puts it in his book, The Giza Power Plant, the pyramid acts as a receiver of energy from within the earth itself.

My own experience with rituals--is that I often see things in threes or feel that I need to perform things in threes. For instance, in Kundalini Yoga, we begin our practice by chanting three times. (anything less or more, just doesn't feel right)
The very idea of 'activating the temple' by chanting three times, feels so right to me.

1 comment:

fearless.woman said...

I hadn't realized that my rituals were developing until they had. I draw an animal card and put it on my altar ever day. I meditate every night (I had let this go for years, now it completes my day. I take a carnation bath weekly. these are bracketing rituals to set my day and my week. there are days that I forget, but in general, my day is bracketed by my practice, and allows awareness of Spirit to infuse my day and week. I feel that my ritutals will develop more during the rest of this year. There are more things that I am doing, and suddenly it, as you say, "feels right" that I continue, and doesn't feel right not to incorporate it into my day.