WELCOME!

This is an ongoing US and global project to help enthusiasts, scholars, practitioners, and curious parties learn more about shamanic living in a contemporary culture. The space here is devoted to sharing info, experiences and opinions about all forms of shamanic expression covering shamanism's multiple permutations. Among subjects explored are traditions, techniques, insights, definitions, events, artists, authors, and creativity. You are invited to draw from your own experiences and contribute.

What is a SHAMAN?

MAYAN: "a technichian of the Holy, a lover of the Sacred." CELTIC: "Empower the people...by changing the way we think." MEXICAN APACHE: "Someone who has simply learned to give freely of themselves..." AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINAL: "...a teacher or healer, a wisdom keeper of knowledge... (who) takes people to a door and encourages them to enter." W. AFRICAN DIAGRA: "views every event in life within a spiritual context." HAWAIIAN: "...human bridges to the spiritual world and its laws and the material world and its trials..." QUECHUA INDIAN: "embodies all experience." AMAZON: "...willing to engage the forces of the Universe...in a beneficial end for self, people, and for life in general."


-- from Travelers, Magicians and Shamans (Danny Paradise)

Monday, January 28, 2008

Nature, Rhythms and Synchronicity

All around us and within us are the rhythms and synchronicities of nature. I seem to become more clearly aware of this as I immerse deeper into myself and experience my interconnectiveness with the universe.
During our shamanic apprenticeship phone conference last week, the topic regarding the "calling in" of an animal in nature was discussed.
Ever since I can remember, I have had a strong relationship with the natural world. Years ago, during endurance training and long runs, it seemed that I was a magnet for the four legged, winged ones and water beings. The encounters were both enchanting and fascinating.
Since that time of calling in the eagles, fish, fox, deer and others, I was asked to take a pause and experience the natural world at a slower pace. The encounters continued and brought me many reassuring and comforting messages.
Recently, I have been graced with a new breath of life and find my self running once again to the familiar rhythm that connects me with the heartbeat of the earth. In the past several weeks, I have called in the fish at the dawn of the day with my yoga routine and a hawk during a mid day run.
Last week, during a morning run, just after tuning in with the drum-like rhythm of my foot strikes, I thought to myself, "Perhaps I will see a woodpecker today". Approximately two minutes later, I was presented with a close encounter of the most beautiful woodpecker I have ever seen! I believe it was a Pileated woodpecker, the one that Woody is fashioned after, not your small downy variety. It swooped and dived several times about 12 feet in front of me, then landed on a branch for a moment, then flew out of sight.
This all took place at the same spot on the trail which I had closely encountered a hawk years ago and a fox this past fall during a run. Perhaps a magical spot?
Now that I look back on these wonder-full encounters, I notice that I have created a portal in nature. Whether on the path of my run or in the setting of my intention, with the drum beat of life, I am able to call in and meet with one of my greatest teachers, deeply stirring the rhythms within.

Shungo,
AncientWindRunner

2 comments:

Robin Rice said...

Sounds like true Ancient Wind Runner experiences! How beautiful! Hugs!

ancientwindrunner said...

Today, during my greating and honoring of the Vernal Equinox, being warmed by the sun,sitting by the water connecting with Mother Nature, the turtles came. First one, with a divine message, joined by a partner...then the appearance of the third.
All of us connecting in the warmth of the sun.

All is sacred here.
Wisdom is born within us.
Spring calls to my soul.

Shungo~
AWR